See the GemCreator Kickstarter!
July 19, 2017 IFly Action Jim!
- We got some pictures from our IFly indoor skydiving adventure after Father's day.
- We went to the International Mission Board in Richmond, VA to take a tour.
- I found some Cherry-Mx keys to see if they are worth using for a custom keyboard for the GemCreator.
- Sadly, the Kickstarter is below the threshold of the $3200 needed for the project to be a go. About 10 days left. I guess I should be sad about it but I'm at peace either way if it is a go or not. If it is not a go then I won't have to do the work. If it is a go, then it will be a fun project. I guess I would be more excited if there were a lot more backers. I guess disappointment is setting in.
- So the refridge we got from Sears Outlet isn't cooling properly. We called for service but they put us off for a week. So much for the promise of 48 service and the promise that they thouroughly test these things so that sort of thing will not happen. So anyway probably would not do that again. Hopefully it will be fixed and that will be all that's wrong. If it does then I guess it will have been worth the difference in price but it has already left a bad taste in our mouth. When we went back to the outlet we found other refridgerators with trash left in them and things like that which sort of proves that they don't open these things up at all much less test them. More disappointment.
- Bought some micro SD cards (that will likely be used for any GemCreator machines) and then ran the h2testw on them to make sure they were good and without errors. I pretty much test all microsd and jump drives I get now. Amazing how many fail and have to be returned. Amazing how many ebay sellers are just outright frauds too selling undersized or bad jump drives and sd cards. How do you know if you don't test them? Don't want to find out the hard way!
- Signed up for the Tic Watch Kickstarter. I hope it's a good watch. I have the Pebble Time 2 watch from before which I programmed my own watch face for it and enjoyed but it's getting old and I need something newer. I pretty much just need time and pedometer but the other stuff is nice.
July 10, 2017 Dieing appliances!
- Refridgerator and Dish washer both went out this week. Refridge died a horrible death when it spewed freon and stunk up the whole house with freon smell. It was 18 years old so I guess it was time for a new one anyway. The dishwasher spewed water everywhere too and had to be cleaned up. It had already shown signs of dieing and I had replaced a water pipe on the side and some other stuff. Had to buy a new one - got a brand new Maytag. Living with ice chests this week. I installed the diswasher myself. It was harder to do than I expected because nothing is ever standard when it comes to plumbing. Got it done, tho, and saved $100 for installation fee. New dish washer works well and is super quiet. New refridgerator will come on Tuesday (hopefully). We first ordered a GE from Home Depot because they give 12 mos no interest financing. Then we found one at the Sears Outlet which we saved about $700 because it has some cosmetic damage that you can barely notice - we'll cover it with refridgerator magnets. So we cancelled the Home Depot refridge and then when we paid with the Sears card we got 12 mos no interest! So yay that helps! ;-) It has water and ice in the door, and has a built-in water filter - sweet!
- Playing with Playon video recorder software and cutting the cable. I have a 256G jump drive I'm storing videos. Love it. I wish I could time-schedule recording of live videos but at least it will record vids for offline watching so I can take them with me on the airplane. We will be flying to Richmond, VA for a few days. I'm looking forward to that.
- Someone cancelled their GemCreator order on Kickstarter so the project is below the $3200 threshold again. Oh well, there's still about 20 days left to go on the kickstarter.
- Made a round donut cutter and a Texas shaped donut cutter on my 3d printer and my daughter and I made donuts for Sunday School class. They turned out OK.
- A buddy of mine is giving me a Formlabs 3D resin printer! yay! I haven't gotten it yet but I'm excited to play with it. It would be good for high resolution (higher than my filament printer at least) prints. I wanted to try printing the Groot earrings and a pendant mount for the marble gemstone. Makerjuice sells a castable wax where I could maybe make a model, pour casting plaster around it, burn out the wax, then cast the silver pendant. It might be fun to try at least to make real custom silver jewelry.
- Did another message at the Nursing Home. The people there are so sweet. Shared with them Luke 2 and did a "Christmas in July" message.
- July 9th was my brother's birthday. I miss him a lot. I'll see him again when I get to heaven.
July 4, 2017 Happy July 4th!
- Happy Independence day and "Dependence Day" if you depend on God.
- My wife and I watched the movie "Independence Day" on Independence day!
- Today we went to Dollar Stores and bought hundreds of dollars worth of stuff! Yes really! Our church will be making Hygiene packs for refugees. So the packs will contain stuff like soap, toothpaste, shampoo, and things like that. Hopefully it will do some refugees some good.
- This weekend, I worked on fixing some paneling on my house. The paneling was cheap cardboard stuff. Pretty cheap stuff - it fell apart as I was taking it off. We bought concrete paneling to replace it. I had to cut it with a masonary saw blade. The concrete board is textured like paneling and hopefully it will keep the squirrels, other vermin, and the termites away.
July 2, 2017 Weekly Update
- I'm going to try to make weekly updates for the GemCreator Kickstarter project.
- Someone got cold feet and cancelled their pledge and made the kickstarter go below the $3200 threshold to make the project a go. wonk wonk.
- The good news is someone else pledged one so it's back above the $3200 threshold again so it's still a go! yay!
- Revised the water tower CAD model to add a break where the bottle could easily be removed or put back. Before the cap had to be unscripted to be removed. This makes it where it is easier to pour out the water quickly if need be.
- Revised the bottle cap to add ribs to make it easier to grip and turn - it was too slick to turn before.
- Just a little over 24 hours in of 30 days and the Kickstarter broke the $3200 initial funding threshold!
- So the project is on! Thanks to everyone who backed the project and helped the project to reach the initial goal!
- The funding phase still has 28 more days to go so it could have more backers!
- The next funding goal is $10,000! If it reaches that goal then all of the backers get a stretch reward!
June 29, 2017 Kickstarter created!
- GemCreator Kickstarter
- The kickstarter ends July 29th so I can't wait to see how it does!
- Help me make sure the kickstarter project is funded!
May 16, 2017: First gemstone finished.
- First Gemstone finished.
- The machine works! Yay!
- I glued a second dobstick to the marble that had the bottom half done and placed it in the transfer block.
- After the epoxy dried I pulled off the first dobstick and cleaned off the epoxy with a knife.
- Then I did the top half of the gemstone within a few hours and Tada!
- It took so long between doing the bottom half and the top half because I had so much going on I just couldn't get to it.
April 27, 2017: Dallas Market Hall demonstration kicked to the curb.
- It looks like my parent's faceting demonstration table at the Dallas Market Hall got booted from the show.
- So since they don't have a table I won't be able to demonstrate the GemCreator faceting machine with them there. Oh well.
- Last night I worked on a new gemstone and it turned out nicely.
- I've added opto-endstops to the dobstick and to the turret to "home" them. Works great!
- I've made several software changes (added homing and minor changes) and it makes it easier to keep the alignment.
- I tuned the stepper motor drivers and the stepper motors don't get quite as hot. Cool! :) :) :)
April 18, 2017: Went to the Dallas Gem Club and presented the machine!
- Seemed to be very well received
- Lots of questions and answers - seems to indicate lots of interest
- Several seemed interested in purchasing one but no sales yet, tho.
- Plan to demonstrate Dallas Market Hall April 28th - 30th.
- Made a machine for my mom - she wanted one instantly when I showed her the first prototype! - Thanks mom!
- I asked her to pay for parts only - so sort of my first sale
- She's my first test subject and helping me with making it easier to use
- Now has 4 line display
- She wanted German flag colors.
- First polishing of a glass marble
- Took a long time to figure out what would polish it
- Cerium Oxide mud and foam wheel did the trick after fine grinding
- Yay, it polishes!
- Second rough grind of a glass marble
- First rough grind of a glass marble
- First prototype
- Tested with a wooden ball
- No shroud yet or water system
- Has 2 line display
If you are interested in the Gem Creator, send me a note! jbrown#theswirlingbrain.com. (replace the pound sign for an at sign).
Back to my homepage